quinta-feira, 20 de janeiro de 2011

Pride & Prejudice [Jane Austen]

 I've finally finished this much cherished novel, feeling as light and dazed by Mr. Darcy, and Lizzy and Jane's happiness as one could possibly be. It's impossible to read all this and not wish the habit of letter writing was still installed in modern societies (emails and facebook notes just don't count), I shall really miss it in every other romance I read.
But let's get along with it. I have two aspects I'd like to discuss. First, Austen's style and how the story is delivered, which I found most peculiar in comparisom to the several chick flicks and even historical romances I've read; and secondly, the story itself, which is somewhat different than what I had in mind after carefully watching and rewatching charming Matthew MacFayden's performance and some vague recollections of the older Colin Firth version (which I now intend on watching entirely).
On contrary to what several introductions and fans have said, I did not think Jane Austen was an easy read, nor that the flow of the narrative made it any easier, reason why I had several times before started reading this novel and given up (as several of my most insistent friends); however, it was only a few weeks ago, in an impulse of insomnia, that I picked up a very pretty version my mother had given me for Christmas, one that would be shameful to be left unread, that I actually read some thirty chapters - and then was caught in Elizabeth and Jane's envyable sisterhood, in Sir William's politeness,  in enjoying  Mr. Bingley's manners,  growing a strong dislike for Mrs. Bennet, and so forth. I began carrying it back and forth in my bag to my classes and exams, but it turns out Pride & Prejudice is a reading to be done at home, comfortably nested in your bed or couch, allowing yourself to be completely sunk in to a very agreeable and peaceful British countryside.
Regarding the rhythm more specifically, I found it very odd indeed. I had watched movies like The Jane Austen Book Club and awaited the mentioned scenes with much eagerness. The encounter with Mr. Darcy in the woods, for example. And as they came, with as much emphasis and length as any other business related in the novel, I was at loss - what is meant to be important in this story? There's no preparation, no anxiety inducing like all the other stories I've read. What is perceived as the climax in the novel - the declaration of a love that survived a very poor denial - comes out of nowhere, in a simple, as much causal as a conversation can be in an 18/19th century story, to sweep us off our feet and make us as blushed and pleased as Elizabeth herself. (Much to contrast with the new movie, with the non-explained and slightly dream-like encounter of the lovers in a field during dawn, which only manages to make us stare at MacFayden, delighted.) It's a new approach for me, and did confuse me quite a bit, but perhaps it adds to the magic of Pride & Prejudice, demanding a second and third read to notice all the details.
Indeed, I do believe rereading this novel will show several phrases and ironies I failed to notice this first time. I was quite insensitive to the more subtle remarks - it was only at the last chapters, with her restraining a comment to Mr. Darcy, judging it was too soon to make him laugh at himself, that I reread it and understood the humour. (I'm slow and quite ill-accustomed.)
Over to the story itself, I must say this was one of the - if not the -  happiest of happy endings. Austen does not disappoint the reader in detailing just how happy Jane and Bingley, and Elizabeth and Darcy are, and doesn't fail to describe the fate of the other characters as well, which is always nice - don't you hate it when the authors forget all about their side characters? I was pleased to find what was to be done of Mary and Kitty, specially.
Some scenes from the movies, which I now realise would have very little effect in a book, like my favourite from the new version (when Mr. Darcy helps Elizabeth to her carriage and there's hand-touching  and it's oh-so-amazing), or the alternative ending for the same movie (with the Mrs. Darcy dialogue), or the river scene in the old version (which I'm not quite sure of when it happens) don't appear in the book, as much as I hoped for them through every page. At least as far as I remember, neither movie represents the slowness, the civility and the subtlery of everything in this novel. But then again, as mentioned, I hardly recall the Colin Firth version, which I plan on watching to-morrow morning :]
Also, I had never noticed in the other much shorter versions I'd read that there are so many names of people and places that simply don't exist. I know it's rather silly and useless to keep mentioning places I don't know, but I must confess I stared for quite a while at the first "----shire" that came up. I hope it is not a cruel joke by Pocket Books.
On yet another comparisom, I was surprised to see such a different Ms. Darcy from the one in the movie (a lively, adorable girl who made a very good addition to the female cast), though it does make a whole lot more sense to have a shy, nervous, self-conscious young girl to have such a past.
I had read that the director of the Keira Knightly version, who I've grown quite annoyed with ever since I heard him say he wanted to cut off Mary from the script - no matter how many lines she has, you simply don't cut off, or think about cutting off, characters from classic novels -, plus blame him for making the face of Keira branded to Elizabeth's in my mind for ever, said he thought the relationship between her and Jane was an idealization of the relationship between Jane Austen and her sister, thus, seeing it as fake. Perhaps because I'm an only child and already idealize brotherly and sisterly affection, I saw it as the strongest of friendships, as a true regard for one another, a concern for their happiness and a mutual joy when succeeded. Though at some bits it looks forced, so do many other moments and lines, simply because that sort of care and feeling is no longer present - or at least, no longer expressed as it once were - hence, I put the blame on Time.
To conclude, as I've mentioned, I shall miss the letter writing and reading that takes place within the story, and the easeness and lightness of a time that I wish I had lived to see. I hope to read other books of the era, with letters, British countryside, and other handsome, charming men (if not as delightful as Mr. Darcy, at least equally agreeable to meet). Beginning with Sense & Sensibility, which I'll read in February. Meanwhile perhaps I could go back to the used book shop and get that Letter Writing For All Occasions...

Short Review
Tough to start, but a terrifically entertaining read. Reccomended to any fan of historical novels, who has any general interest in 18/19th century courtship and habits, or who has seen any of the movies and felt there was something missing.

Rating: 9/10


2 comentários:

  1. G'Day!
    This is a really refreshing review- I love to hear about it from first time readers of the book as most people I am now acquainted with are familiar with Austen.
    I highly recommend Northanger Abbey (it's delicious- much more fun and, I think, suits people who are learning about Austen's style, as it was her first written/last published book).
    That copy looks lovely- which edition is it? Is it a penguin?
    Thanks for visiting at The Bennet Sisters (www.thebennetsisters.wordpress.com), it's great to see other peoples' blogs.
    Jennie

    ResponderExcluir
  2. It´s a Pocket Book Collector´s Edition, allegedly from 1940. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10041272-pride-and-prejudice)
    Thanks so much for commenting. Planning on reading all of Jane Austen, starting with Northanger then :]

    ResponderExcluir

Tell me somethiiing!